You may ask yourself, what charitable endeavors does SPX support?
Here’s a look at the SPX portfolio. All of these events and activities feed into our overarching purpose - to promote, preserve and protect the work of independent comic creators.
Most folks know us from our annual festival, which we like to think is one of the best comics events on the planet. We almost literally kill ourselves to try to make it so.
Likewise, if you know SPX you know the Ignatz Award, the most, coveted, spectacular brick-based award in comics.
But that’s just the start of the bigger picture.
SPX is a 501c3 nonprofit that works hand in hand with the CBLDF to support their crucial role as a bulwark against censorship, helping ensure creative freedom for cartoonists.
Through our library gift program we endow local library systems with funds to purchase graphic novels from independent publishers. By SPX 2014 we’ll be close to 1,000 SPX sponsored works sitting on library shelves across Maryland and DC.
We also want to make sure that the work of independent artists is preserved forever - for future study and for their heirs via our permanent collection at the Library of Congress. All the Ignatz nominated books as well as many other works, SPX promotional art and EVEN THIS TUMBLR are being preserved forever by the LOC.
We have also embarked on a new adventure as a sponsor of other comics events, like the Comics and Medicine conference held at Johns Hopkins University a few weeks ago. This will be SPX’s second year as a sponsor of the graphic novels pavilion at the National Book Festival in Washington, D.C.
All to say, we are ON A GODDAMN MISSION.
When you attend SPX you help make it happen. Our annual festival - what most folks call “SPX” is the sole source of funding for all these efforts.
54 Notes/ Hide
- dumbleday likes this
- instigatorzine reblogged this from spx
- zencomix likes this
- phyland84 reblogged this from spx
- phyland84 likes this
- robynjordancomics likes this
- aukward likes this
- gin-draws likes this
- zwelinzima reblogged this from spx
- thebristolboard likes this
- magnificoterrifico reblogged this from spx
- magnificoterrifico likes this
- spx reblogged this from spx and added:
- litospeaks reblogged this from spx
- icallhergrady reblogged this from spx
- adhousebooks likes this
- followingshade likes this
- booleancomics likes this
- hotsaucery likes this
- neo-rama likes this
- nerdy-geek-71 reblogged this from spx
- muchechopsmusings likes this
- frankencomics likes this
- hubcityhorror likes this
- revistalarva likes this
- hecteh088 reblogged this from spx and added:
- gadgal likes this
- ciudadimprovisada likes this
- sashanako likes this
- careydraws likes this
- kevinjaystanton likes this
- ginchycomics likes this
- cameron1228 likes this
- planetsedge reblogged this from spx
- planetsedge likes this
- no1iknow reblogged this from spx
- daverclarke likes this
- suebamboo likes this
- outofsteparts likes this
- skellyscribbles likes this
- inscener likes this
- colleenfrakes likes this
- paddymacjr likes this
- geostatonary likes this
- colleenaf likes this
- portlybibliophile reblogged this from spx
- portlybibliophile likes this
- jpds14 likes this
- randeepk likes this
- floofyslandofwonder likes this